WELCOME ****** PHOTOS ******DAVIDSLIST****** LYRICS ****** WHERE TO SEE DAVID ****** FORUM



Snarky Archies delivers rapid-fire, snarky goofy commentary about David Archuleta 24-7. We're fans of David even if we sometimes poke a little fun at him. Got some pictures, news or commentary you think we'd enjoy? E-mail us at wearethesnarkyarchies@gmail.com, or tweet us at @snarkyarchies. And don't forget to comment and immerse yourself in the glory of the Archuleta.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kim's Word is Law!

haha, j/k, you can disagree. but... my word is still law. XD

I need to do a comprehensive review, so. Here I go. I will add to this later possibly, or I might just do a new review after I've heard every song 100x or something (ETA: NO, I PROBABLY WON'T. This is sufficient... except for my review of "My Hands" which is sorely lacking. Also these opinions are subject to change, because I am fickle human being and things grow on me over time. So if I hated your favorite song, sorry.)

THE CHURCH FINALLY HAS HYMNALS, YO! \o/ THANK YOU JESUS 2.0!! We look forward to when we get to clone you and have Jesus 2.1 and 2.2 and 2.3 and 2.4 and so on. TRUST IT.

[ETA: my reviews are too long, I am separating them out by song, haha]



So Barriers is my favorite. It's hard to pick just one, but apparently not that hard, because I just did it, mothers! And let me tell you WHY:
1. the puns! the jokes! So fun! I keep saying this to people: There is amazing, and then this song broke the AMAZING BARRIER. GET IT? Because it is true. I want to fortify the fortress of Barriers with TOO MANY LOCKS. The other songs cannot breach its BARRIERS, okay?
2. Everytime I listen to it and I go "I really like this one, I should check which one this is" it is Barriers. ALWAYS BARRIERS. Barriers for LIFE.
3. The DRUMS. the little rat-a-tat-tat thing it does at 1:58/1:59
4. "the words got me chokin'" "this mountain we've been trying to climb, it's neverending" THE LYRICS, GUYS. THEY KILL ME. "it's our last! final! goodbye!" (aw, you try to convince yourself, but you won't win, David, cuz we're forever! FOREVERRRRR.)
5. THE ECHOES. OH MY GOD THE ECHOES. LOCKS (LOCKS!) CRIMES (CRIMES!!) TEARS (TEARS!) LIES! (LIES!!)
6. This lyric: "cuz if I don't get into my car, I won't go very far"
7. the passion, where his voice breaks a little at 2:52! It gets me.
8. DID I MENTION THE ECHOES? I WILL ECHO THIS SENTIMENT.
9. the whole last minute. does the world try to stop?
10. when he harmonizes with himself. it's beautiful. I want more davids! DAVID IN TRIPLICATE. GIMME IT.
11. "but baby, I don't THINK so" HAHAHA. OMG. I LOVE IT. HAHAHAH. YOU TELL HER, DAVID. *snap, snap, snap*
12. I keep thinking he is saying "bitch - trying but we just can't break through" but he is not. he is actually saying "been trying" but every. time. I hear it differently.
13. "if we don't open up our eyes, we're just pretending" awwww. love it. I love how his voice is a bit deeper there.


My Hands is getting a half-assed review, because I am having issues with this copy of the song, unfortunately, but I will come back to it.
1. THE WHOLE FIRST PARAGRAPH OF LYRICS. "accidentally on purpose" and the leaving his watch "behind the tire" REALLY. THE TIRE. REALLY? OKAY. LOLLLLLLLERSKATES.I have to say that "alarm clock inside the fire..............................................place" is the best lyric of my LIFE. I wish JC had written that lyric, because it seems like the kind of thing he would do. LOVE IT. DYING. LOVE IT.
2. the overuse of the word "hand" is hilariously awesome too. I don't actually know what he is saying yet, but I am pretty sure if I just say hand a half dozen times really fast, I'll be pretty close.
3. "my hands are hurting" awwww, bb.
4. Seriously, I keep quoting these lyrics, but they are amazing
5. I love the lower thread of singing below the main melody. I am always fond of lower registers, and this is no exception and it is so subtle there the whole time and pulls the listener along. GOD BLESS YOU DAVID.

Don't Let Go
So I knew right away this was the one JC wrote with David. This was the first song I listened to this morning on the way to work, and I literally thought it was a duet with JC and JC was the first singer. Turns out he just imparted his singing style instead. That makes a lot of sense, actually, because I am sure he would sing whatever he was writing to David and David probably subconsciously (or consciously even?) imitated that to some degree.
It's awesome though, because I love JC and I think they have overlapping styles of music. Also, JC is an incredibly talented vocalist just like David, so it all works.
There are a number of parts where David gets high and breathy and it is done SO WELL. He doesn't overdo it in those sections and he doesn't do those sections too often. Beautiful.
I think this is a really well done song.
I love the use of piano, which is a good way to help me like a song, by the way, because I am a sucker for piano. Also, it makes sense because both David and JC are piano people. I believe David should continue to incorporate piano into MANY of his songs now and in the future and forever and always.


Your Eyes Don't Lie
I like to call this song the "No Diggity/Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" song. The beginning hums remind me of "No Diggity" yet the whistles remind me of "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." I firmly believe that the whistles hold this song back a bit, because when I ignore those whistles I LOVE THIS SONG. A LOT. But then I notice the whistles and it grates on me.
This is also a song that makes me think David could go R&B... vocally... and just never like... be physically in front of people while he sings it. Because you can't talk to him or look at him and think R&B.
"your eyes don't lie... and they never will girl" is like hilarious. This is so not what I am used to from David, because he is so... sweet, endearing, adorable, wee, wholesome. He just... this is why it was so hilarious when he did "With You" and actually had to say words like "boo" or "little mama." Don't get me wrong, I'll never be able to listen to Chris Brown again, because David trumped him SO HARD, but it was WATCHING him sing that kind of song that tripped people up, I am sure of this. This is why I am convinced that when he sings "With You" he is imagining his pancakes (shout out to "Vulture"). His pancakes are his "boo," his "little mama." Fact.
I like how he says "will" not "w-uhIH-ll" but "wehuhhhl" which is musically way more fun to hear, IMO.
I also really like the line "you were never really out of love with me." Just to share.


Desperate
Not my favorite beginning of the far away sounding "Desperate" but as soon as he comes in, it's all good. This song reminds me of a Miley Cyrus style song. I wonder if this is the one that was written by the same people that Miley works with? Because if so, I can totally tell, and that's not a compliment.
I actually love Miley Cyrus a lot, and I love her songs, but they're HER style, not David's. I like this song a lot, no worries, David can do no wrong, but he has much better songs on this album (BARRIERS, ANYONE, ANYONE???). I think a big part of my problem with this song is it seems really formulaic - like I expect everywhere this song goes, musically speaking. The swells of music are timed like so many other of these sorts of songs. I don't know, it's fine, but I definitely think David can do way better.
Obviously his vocals are stunning as usual. And when they come in with the piano towards the end I really like it, but the addition of strings makes it more... what is the word I am looking for... I don't know, but the closest I can think of is "predictable."

Touch My Hand
This is probably in my top three of songs, I really love it, but at the same time it irritates me to PIECES. Why? Because I see where this is going ALREADY and I hate it. This is the kind of song that 50,000,000,000 fans are going to make youtube videos to. Youtube videos of them stretching their hands out to touch David's. There will be a lot of powerpoint-style transitions between their billion pictures of David reaching out to them, and then I will be forced to start a nuclear war with the world to end the madness.
I knooooow that if he sings this song in his tour or at places, this is the part where he wanders around the edges of the stage to REACH OUT TO THE PEOPLE in the song. And then I throw up in my mouth a little bit.
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it's a beautiful beautiful song, and I really REALLY love it to pieces BUT I CANNOT TAKE THIS FUTURE.
All you fans? Your beautiful faces? IT IS STILL NOT ACTUALLY ABOUT YOU, OKAY. STOP. LET'S LET IT STOP.
But anyway. I like the part about "don't let the music stop" because it reminds of "please don't stop the music" from the AI tour. It's a total shout out to all his AI buds. Really cute. In fact, I'm going to pretend that he is singing about it being "only you" as in all other 9 idol people... and they're just way on the other end of the stage. YAY! \o/
I also again like the part where he goes up in his voice. Awesome. Overall, I am in love with the parts where he really uses the edges of his voice - the higher times or the particularly lower times. I still love the middle, but I am all about the extremes of his voice the most.

To Be With YouI love the musical opening here, really beautiful. I like how David comes in with "I've been alone so many nights now." I feel that it is almost meant to be spoken, because it is very monotone, note-wise, at first. For the non-singers out there, it is actually possibly harder to sing the same note over and over than to run all over the place, because you have to DO something with it. You have to make each note stand out, even though it is the same note as the previous one. This could have sounded spoken, but it didn't. It sounded full and rich, because David would never do anything substandard vocally.
It's beautiful and quiet and pitch-perfect, but it still grows note-to-note, he still takes it somewhere. I LOVE YOU DAVID.
And I'm not going to lie, I want this chick to shut it, because I'd rather listen to David duet himself again. What I REAAALLY want is David in triplicate or MORE. Someday! I love listening to his lower parts though. I know he can really wail, and it's beautiful when he does, but I am glad for the opportunity to hear him take the lower track. I have a soft spot for bass singers, it comes from being an alto among other things, I guess, and so I get a thrill from listening to capable people sing low. Thank you, David.
"I'll be at the end of my restless rope" love that.
It's beautiful. I still want her gone, but she did really well! It's just given the choice, I'm always going to pick two Davids over one David. Sorry lady.


A Little Too Not Over You
This was the best snippet when I was first hearing leaks, and so it has a winning spot for that alone XD But also, it is nice and fast, the way I prefer my music.
It's almost boybandish, which IS a compliment, because it is my goal in life to see David form a boyband with himself four times over. David x 5 will be awesome. Remember "David is greater than all boybands" is still true (SORRY BSB, ILU STILL) but that's because he should BE ONE. KEEP THE BRASS RING IN SIGHT, OKAY.
His runs are excellent as usual, and he never overdoes it, which was a complaint I had/have for a lot of popular female singers. There is a tendency to need to do crazy runs ALL OVER THE PLACE even though it takes away from the song, and I don't think David has that problem at all. THANK GOD.
This could make a really good single (OR BARRIERS, BARRIERS ANYONE???).

Running
Okay, sorry, what's with the whispered "Maaaafia" at the beginning? Is David recruiting? He secretly is the Godfather? What's up?
"Words keep falling out of my heart" is an awesome lyric because it seems very David. He is so direct and open in a vulnerably unintentional (and therefore GENUINE) way. I like that these songs are not about things that David can't relate to at all. He's not singing about cheating or macking or playin' or his baby mama or whatever, which is good, because I would not be able to take it.
And I am 100% convinced that this song is written by David to "track" or "cross-country" because he loves it so much. Track/CC is his other "boo." Pancakes now has competition! OH NOES!!
But seriously, it's all about "running, without you I've got nothing" and whatever, you can say I took those lyrics out of context all you want, you are not changing my mind on this one. This is a love song. From David. To Running. FACT.
Did he really say "I've got my fit shoes"? AHAHAHAHA. ILU DAVID. SERIOUSLY. ILU. A LOT.
And here they got it right! He duets with himself again. THANK GOD (Jeff)!


Oh we're back to Barriers! And it gets another review because it is THAT GOOD. It has the best hook, it pulls me in instantly, first of all. Every. Time. EVERY FREAKING TIME. With the "heh!" and then David doing some 'yeaaaah's and such.
He hits the lyric "hitting" harder than the surrounding lyrics, which I like. also the way he says "never ending."
I still think the echo is the greatest thing I've heard in the entire world. Locks (LOCKS!), Crimes (CRIMES!), Tears (TEARS!), Lies (LIES!) I could marry that. I could. If I don't marry Vulture, I am marrying those lyrics.
"baby I don't THINK so" is still fabulous.
I don't know if I can explain why this is fabulous. This might actually be one of those holy "beyond comprehension of mere mortals" things. ALL I CAN DO IS BE ON THE GRATEFUL RECEIVING END.
I LOVE MY EARS.
"cuz the world's trying to stop ya, stop ya" is heart-crunching also.

You Can
Country sounding - with the guitar and everything. Yeah, a bit reminiscent of a folky song, but still poppy. I'm not really a slow-song kind of person, but David somehow keeps getting me to listen to them, haha. "for now I'll just pretend"? I like that part.
"the eyes of someone you could love" is really beautiful also... I like that line's notes, because when it repeats with different words, that is my favorite part of that paragraph as well.
Yeah, there's a very country/folk feel to this song. Even the way he sings "I knooooow" feels like he just barely held back a twang in his voice.
I think if this were to be a single, he'd either have to sing it more country at some point in his life, or someone else will cover it and throw in the twangs. Maybe that's too obvious of a thing to do, but hell, if I was a country star, I would totally take the opportunity to cover a DA song.
BarriersNO WAY. I JUST GOT BARRIERS AGAIN. But don't worry, I will not keep going on about it. Plenty of time for that later. XD Oh I did all the songs now, so that's why. Okay. DONE.

ETA: I am told that the Miley people actually wrote "your eyes don't lie" and it BLEW MY MIND. Not kidding. BLEW MY MIND. Because I really thought differently. But hey, turns out I was wrong on that - otherwise I stand by my opinion XD
ETA: Why do I keep using "ETA" when that means "expected time of arrival"? I HAVE NO IDEA. I MEAN "EDIT" but.... just know that it is code for edit.


No comments: