WELCOME ****** PHOTOS ******DAVIDSLIST****** LYRICS ****** WHERE TO SEE DAVID ****** FORUM



Snarky Archies delivers rapid-fire, snarky goofy commentary about David Archuleta 24-7. We're fans of David even if we sometimes poke a little fun at him. Got some pictures, news or commentary you think we'd enjoy? E-mail us at wearethesnarkyarchies@gmail.com, or tweet us at @snarkyarchies. And don't forget to comment and immerse yourself in the glory of the Archuleta.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Amy's album review.

It gets really stringy towards the end because I sorta lose my will to review. :D Click the photo for the review.

Dave's gonna take anyone who disses his album.
.





Touch My Hand

Voice: I love his lower register here! And his falsetto! He hits like, all ends of the spectrum, and I think I just revealed HOW LITTLE I KNOW ABOUT SINGING. But he's so low and deep on the verses and then suddenly he goes all HIGH -- "all be OVER" and I'm like, OOH LA LA, yes, sir. I also enjoy how he sings "people" and "somethin' 'bout your beautiful face" and the "sparkle of a million flashlights, a wonderwall of staaaaaaaars." He pronounces some words so beautifully.

Music: I love the music. A lot! I love how it feels like it needs more guitar -- I'm expecting more guitar. But there's not, and it's this happy, catchy, uplifting piano and I sooo just wanna see David at the piano, rockin' and boppin' to this, but I know he'll probably forgo the piano and be reaching out to touch hands, and you can't do that at the piano. But oh! Can't you just see him, like, shimmying in his piano seat, bobbing his head and rockin' out hardcore?

Lyrics: This is probably my main issue with the song, in the way that they are...cheeeeesy. But I do love the second verse for some reason, so much more than the first. "I see the sparkle of a million flashlights, a wonderwall of stars"? "Wonderwall of stars" is probably my favorite line from the whole CD, mostly because it makes me think "Wonderwall" by Oasis and I love pretty much any song with stars in them. I don't know why. It's my favorite subject matter.

Highlights: A wonderwall of stars. His falsetto at the end! "Somethin' 'bout your beautiful FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE." Gorgeous! Gorgeous!

Any gripes? Eh, the lyrics, "Try to reach out, touch my hand. Reach out as far as you can." It feels so goofy to me. I dunno why. I like, "Can't let the music stop, can't let this feeling end," but the "reach out as far as you can" rhyming with "hand" seems soooo contrived to me.

***


Barriers

Voice: AHHHH. Don't even -- I don't even know where to START. From the first "yeeeeeeah, mmmmmm" -- AHHHH. "Chokin'" "hittin'" "broken'". AND HE PUTS THIS REGGAE TWIST ON "eyes." EYESUH. And then, and then -- "WELL, THERE'S A TIME FOR GIVIN' UP, DIDN'T WANNA HAVE TO SAY IT." And "LOCK!" and "CRIMES!" and "TEARS!" and the "ooohoooh" before "BARRIERS." Like, this is AWESOME. And "creepin' in the doubt." Oh my gosh. "But, baby, I don't THINK so." And then he says "car" all British-like, and the second "didn't wanna have to say IIIIIT." He put in all these little runs and David twists, and it makes the song SO HIS, even if it's not a song you'd normally think he'd sing? And -- AND THE WAY HIS VOICE CRACKS -- "Now we keep runnin' into, been tryin' just we JUST can't break through, I know I'm gonna keep wishin' I was with yooou, but we just gotta STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP." OH. SO EMOTIONAL. And it "feeeeeeeeeeeeeels so gooooooooood." And his "tooooOOoooOOOOOO many liiiiiiiies" at the end reminds me of his part in "Seasons of Love." Like, really, I think this is PERFECTION. PERFECTION. His voice is AMAZING here.

Music: I can't even pay attention to the music because I'm too busy listening to David. I like the underlying piano. And the rat-tat-tat drums Kim mentioned in her review. And I like what sounds like a triangle in the background -- a little "ping" "ping" and then a random...it sounds like a violin? I don't know instruments; all I know is this song is AMAZING.

Lyrics: OK, some of these lyrics are a bit cheesy, BUT IT MATTERS NOT, because he sings them SOOOO emotionally. Like, he could be singing nonsense to me, and I would think this is amazing. This is so good that I don't even pay attention to the lyrics. However, the subject matter makes me think of "Burn" by Usher -- you know a relationship isn't working even if you don't wanna leave that person. I will say, though, that some of the lyrics imply a...deeper relationship than I would have imagined David singing about. For example, "lying here" and our "last final goodnight"? I will assume they are lying in a park, underneath the stars. Yes. And singing together is what "feeeeeeeels so good." :)

Highlights: THE ENTIRE SONG. But the BIGGEST highlights might be his runs at the end and the way his voice just BREAKS with emotion on the bridge. Huzza huzza!

Any gripes? NONE. A+++++++++++++++++

***


My Hands

Voice: I love his voice here. It's kinda husky, and again, you can feeeeeeel the emotion. He brings the perfect amount of feeling to the subject matter. He comes across as kinda flat, sad, matter-of-fact -- and then the chorus happens and it's like "OHHHHH, please hold on to his hands, girl!" I love the "caaaaaaaaaaan." I really believe he tried every way he can. I love how he says "clock" and "channel-uh" and the random "uhs" throughout the song. Mmm, yes. And the second verse, "I'm outside in this cold, still lookin' for you, oohhhhhhh." OH. GOSH. SOMEONE, HUG HIM. BB IS HURTING. I DO NOT LIKE BB TO HURT, BUT HIS VOICE IS INCREDIBLE WHEN HE IS HURTING.

Music: Love the music! Love it. This is my kinda song, the tempo and whatever is going on here, it just -- it's the kinda of music that draws me in, and I think it blends beautifully with David's voice. Nothing really stands out to me, though, except for the guitar right as he's saying, "It's harder to hold on." It's kinda frantic and awesome.

Lyrics: These are amazing lyrics. They tell a story. The time metaphors in the first verse, all about stopping time. A lot of people missed that because of the sorta ridiculous nature of the time stoppage -- watch behind the tire? Alarm clock inside the fireplace? But the lyrics actually make it very clear in the second verse -- "anything to show time has gone." I feel like this is a song anyone can relate to, as well, especially a senior in high school, or anyone else on the verge of a new life. You're afraid of moving on and losing what you already have and love. It's really kinda of beautiful.

Highlights: The Weather Channel reference and chorus, ahhhhh. Actually, all the lyrics. So amazing.

Any gripes? None. This is definitely one of my favorites. I adore it. It gets me every time.

***


You Can

Voice: I love the tone and warmth of David's voice. I love his enunciation -- the way he says "tomorrow" and "askED" -- hard consonants. And his voice is so vulnerable and mellow and sweet and sincere and it just fills me up inside. There's no over-singing here. Just simple, clean...and the vulnerability. It's not raw, it's too smooth to be raw. But there's a rawness here.

Music: There's so much I love about this song. I love the guitar. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm really surprised Jive let such a pure acoustic song on the album, but it's really a dream. David's voice is just so FULL against an acoustic backing. I'd love to see him sitting on stage, playing the guitar.

Lyrics: This reminds me of the concept behind "One Sweet Love" by Sara Bareilles. It's not about a certain person -- it's about that perfect love. It's about waiting on that perfect love and being afraid and vulnerable about maybe not finding that love that you want so, so bad. Basically, it's perfect for David, who's said before that he doesn't really GET high school relationships, that he's waiting for the right time and person. I am just so impressed this song fits that so well.

Highlights: My favorite parts...oh gosh, definitely right at the beginning, the opening. It just fills me. The "mmmmmm" is so delicate and warm, and the opening lines are just spectacular. I ADORE this part: 'Cause if anyone can make me fall in love, you can... Baby, when you look at me..." How the chorus flows into the verse? Oh GOSH. The falsetto at the end is spectacular because it's riding on the smoothness of everything else. And the ending line, meeting the opening lines? Oh oh oh, spectacular.

Any gripes? I have issues with "sailing in your deepest eyes." This makes no sense. It's sung beautifully, but sailing is a poor verb choice. Floating would have worked better. You don't sail in someone's eyes...?

***


Running

Voice: I love his voice on this kind of music, mostly because I think this is the type of song all those naysayers would say he couldn't do. Any song that starts out with the word "maaaaaafiaaaaa" does not seem like a David Archuleta song. But he owns this. I don't really feel the emotion here, like I do in My Hands and Barriers, but his voice sounds kinda rough and raw here, too. He also enunciates less here, but it goes with the feel of the music. I don't really have any specific vocal parts that stand out to me. I like the falsettos and his voice. I think it's awesome how well his voice blends with this kind of music, too. OH. I like when his making all the "OOOOOOOOOOHS" at the end. It kinda gives me chills.

Music: I really love the music here. It seems very simple to me -- piano and guitar. But the beat is R&B or something.

Lyrics: "I got my good shoes," "I'm about to navigate straight to your heart" -- AHAHAA, LOVE IT. I love it! I love how some of the lyrics don't really scream DAVID to me, but neither did "With You" and I loved David on that song. At least there's no "lil mama" and "boo." I'd love a "boo," though, not gonna lie.

Highlights: "I'm gonna navigate straight to you." AAHAHA.

Any gripes? None!

***


Desperate

Voice: His voice seems deep and lush on this. I love how he sings "IT'S TIME TO FAAAAACE IT." "You can't go back, you'll fine your way" makes me think he could sing rock surprisingly well. Rock out, sugarplum!

Music: ...not a huge fan of the music. Sounds like a really dramatic video game, though! It just seems to dramatic to me, but the song is dramatic, and I do like to hear what David sounds like on this kinda song. But it seems soooo dramatic. Best example I can come up with is it seems Linkin Parky to me.

Lyrics: I am curious what David uses to relate to this song. I bet a friend. That is usually all I can think about when listening to the song -- "I wonder what David is thinking about."

Highlights: Nothing really stands out too much to me.

Any gripes? Maybe just how dramatic the music is, but I think I'm the only one who feels this way. :)

***


To Be With You

Voice: I love how simple and contained his voice is here. Very little embellishment, and it brings a very real sweetness to this song. He's singing so delicately, but strongly, and it's gorgeous. I almost must confess I love the way he sings, "Wonderin' how you look in this light." It sorta gives me chills. It's really beautiful. I like Kara's voice, too. She's a great singer. OH, and I LOVE how he says "restless road." Ohh, chills. And he says "journey" beautifully, too. OH, and "HOLDING YOU FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME, NEVER LETTING GO, WHAT I WOULDN'T GIVE TO FEEL THAT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYuh." OH. That WAAAAAAY. The way he ENDS it. It's so RAW and ohhhhhhh gosh, it gets me every time. I can feel the power right there.

Music: Simple, gorgeous.

Lyrics: I like this the same way I like "You Can." It's a beautiful love ballad, but not one that David can't fully relate to, because it's about that future, perfect love, and again, it reminds me of "One Sweet Love" by Sara Bareilles. It's gorgeous and moving and touching and everything amazing about David wrapped in a beautiful, simple package.

Highlights: "Way." "How you look in this light." "Restless road." Oh gosh.

Any gripes? None.

Don't Let Go

Voice: Kim pointed out he sounds like JC here and I ADORE IT. He sorta groans out the lyrics in a lot of places, and I had no idea he could do that so successfully. It's awesome.

Music: I really like the music. The piano's lovely. That's pretty much all I have to say.

Lyrics: I like the lyrics a lot! I love how in the first verse, "feel your heart beat through the door" becomes "heal your heart break through the door." CLEVER.

Highlights: The JC-esque voice!

Any gripes? None!

***


Your Eyes Don't Lie

Voice: Ahahaha, oh my gosh, I love his voice here. It's so snappy. I love the "mmmmmm" in the background! I love how is voice is, like, ashy David, but strong and SASSY and "speshul" and "jell-us, OH" and he draws out the "s" and "ussss" and "you were never really out of love with me" and the falsettos at the end and the random "mmms" and the "YEAH, BABY, I WUH-ILL" and "and you never wuh-ill, girrrrrrl." AH. Best line EVER, it gets me every time.

Music: Oh the music! I'm a bit fan of the whistle, not gonna lie (these eye don't lie). I can whistle along!

Lyrics: The lyrics are fine. Don't do too much for me, except that it's amazing to hear David singing a song like this.

Highlights: "And you never will, girrrrrl."

Any gripes? No!

***


Forgot A Little Too Not Over You

Voice: I always love his voice, but I REALLY LOVE IT HERE. Again, I'm getting a lot of emotion out of this. The same way I was getting emotion out of "My Hands." It's kinda, "I'm trying to be indifferent, but I can't." I ADORE THE WAY HE SINGS, "And I turn around, you're with him now." Like, there is more power in that NOW than there is in half the junk I hear on the radio. And the bridge! OH! All the "OOHHHH" and "YEAAAAHH" and "UNDERSTAAAAAAAAAAAND." Just -- kill me now, David, you're amazing. I could listen to this on repeat forever. Actually, I already have done that. It's the song I kept going back to. I just love it more and more every time I hear it. It's sweeping and emotional and blunt and in your face and amazing. And his voice. David's voice at it's best, possibly. Up there with "Barriers." There's so much David here.

Music: I've had issues with the "eh eh oh ohs" before, but after repeated listens, I've sorta almost started to like them? Shocking. Other than that, I love the -- I don't even know what's making that noise in the background, but it goes perfectly with his inflection and it's awesome. I love how the music explodes on the chorus, on the "TELL ME WHYYYYYYYYYY," because it never overpowers his voice -- it lifts it up. Amazing, amazing.

Lyrics: It's actually an interesting song, content-wise. I don't know how many songs I've heard from a guy's perspective that follow this subject matter? It's sorta -- I missed the boat, I missed the chance, we've moved on, but I'm a little too not over it. It's fascinating, because there never was a relationship -- just the possibility of one? Just a smidgen, just some longing. Maybe sorta like "Teardrops On My Guitar" by Taylor Swift. It's like a guy's version, with no names and much stronger, manlier lyrics. I really love it.

Highlights: "And I turn around, you're with him now." Seriously? I also really love the "And I really don't know what to do" at the end. It seems very spontaneous, the way he sings it. Like -- just this bubble of EMOTION popping out of his mouth.

Gripes? None. It used to be the "eh eh oh ohs," but now I have accepted them and moved on.

I'm not going to review Crush and Angels. However, I think they are the perfect bookends to the album. I'll also add the bonus tracks once I've heard them. :)


Added "ALTNOY"! I forgot it the first time. D:

Also, Kim's awesome review. Hers is tons better than mine.

No comments: